See What People Are Saying About ExpressTaxExempt
I love the way this site is set up. Very little effort is needed to process my 501 c 3 990n epostcard for a prior year. I am so happy to find an IRS approved provider.
- Josephine Darlene Harvey
Your service is extremely helpful and saves the organization money! Last year I needed to call the help line and the help and service given was excellent!
- Linda Hollerbach
Im most appreciative that you took the time to call me to clarify and re-file when there was an inconsistency between IRS instructions and the initial IRS rejection of our return. Glad we could straighten it out in real time.
- Peter Coffee
This is the second year I have used the software and it was easier to use than last year. Also the use of indicators where it was necessary to use schedules was helpful. The third year will probably be easier.
- jackie Swenson
Form 990-T Schedule A
- When you file Form 990-T, you will need to complete a separate Schedule A to report income and allowable deduction for each separate unrelated trade or business.
- Our software simplifies the process of e-filing Form 990-T with Schedule A.
- You can review your information and then pay and transmit your return to the IRS electronically.
Frequently Asked Questions on Form 990-T
QWhat is IRS Form 990-T?
Form 990-T, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return (and Proxy Tax Under Section 6033(e)), is used to report unrelated business income and tax liabilities.
Exempt Organizations also use Form 990-T for the following purposes:
- To claim a refund on an income tax paid by a regulated investment company (RIC) or a real estate investment trust (REIT) on an undistributed long-term capital gain.
- To request credits for certain federal excise taxes paid or for small employer health insurance premiums paid.
- To report unrelated business income tax on reinsurance entities.
QWhen is the deadline to File Form 990-T?
Employees' trusts, defined in section 401(a), IRAs (including SEPs and SIMPLEs), Roth IRAs, Coverdell ESAs, or 408(a) (Archer MSAs) must file Form 990-T by the 15th day of the 4th month after the end of their tax year.
For trusts other than section 401(a) or 408(a), Form 990-T must be filed by the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of the organization’s tax year.
Note: If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, file the form on the next business day.
QCan Form 990-T be filed electronically?
Yes, Form 990-T must be filed electronically.
Under the Taxpayer First Act, certain exempt organizations must file information and tax returns electronically for tax years beginning after July 1, 2019, i.e., organizations with tax years beginning after July 2019 must file their 990 returns electronically.
Effective in 2021, all organizations with a due date on or after April 15, 2021, must file Form 990-T for 2020 electronically. Paper filing is no longer an option. There is a limited exception for 2020 Form 990-T returns submitted on paper and postmarked on or before March 15, 2021.